Do I Have Diastasis Recti?
Hey babes! So now that we answered the question what is diastasis recti and talked about how it is caused, I want to show you how to check if you have it! This simple self-check can be done easily and quickly in the comfort of your own home.
Just follow these easy steps:
- Lie on the floor flat on your back.
- Bend your knees, keeping the soles of your feet flat on the floor about 10 inches (25 cm) from your butt.
- Place one hand behind your head, and the other on your abdomen with your fingers touching just below your belly button and your palm turned toward your face.
- Starting completely relaxed, gently lift your head off the floor and do a baby crunch, moving your ribcage closer to your pelvis.
- Once your rectus abdominis is fully contracted, press your fingers down and feel for the right and left sides of your muscle.
- Repeat again, feeling just above your belly button.
You may have a more severe separation if you feel a gap wider than 2.5 to 3 fingers and the gap doesn’t reduce as your muscles contract. If you do have separation along your midline, don’t panic! You do need to be aware and take caution not to make it worse. If you ever see or feel a hard protrusion along your midline, or feel a gap wider than 3 finger widths, you should consult your physician.
As I mentioned before, diastasis recti is fairly common and nothing to be afraid of. It is simply something to be AWARE of, and is part of knowing how to heal and care for your body after having a baby.
Next week we will look at some safe exercises to help you regain your core strength.
* Disclaimer: This blog post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. Sweat assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.